Patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) have unique care needs due to the progressive nature of this genetic disorder, which primarily affects muscle strength and function. The choice of bed functions for patients with DMD should prioritise their comfort, mobility, and safety while addressing the challenges of muscle weakness and potential future complications.
There are a range of bed features which should be considered by customers and therapists which can be used to aid in the long-term care of the individual.
- Low Bed Height: A low bed height reduces the risk of falls and makes it easier for the patient to get in and out of bed independently, especially as muscle weakness progresses. A large range of our beds offer an adjustable height feature, which greatly assists in both independent and assisted lifting in and out of bed.
- Full Profiling Options: Full profiling capabilities, including adjustable head and foot sections, provide flexibility for patients with DMD by allowing them to find the most comfortable positions for resting, eating, or engaging in activities. Just as with the High/Low functions we offer this with a large number of our beds – the Arctic Bed is one of our best products for patients with DMD.
- Side Rails: Retractable side rails can be used to prevent accidental falls, especially during sleep, and provide support for patients with muscle weakness who may have difficulty repositioning themselves. These are a must for any patient who may have limited mobility to reduce the risk of injury greatly.
- Tilt-in-Space Functionality: Tilt-in-space features allow the entire bed frame to tilt backward or forward. This function can be beneficial for:
- Pressure Sore Prevention: Regularly changing the patient’s position can help prevent pressure sores.
- Respiratory Support: Tilted positioning can assist with lung function and airway clearance for patients with progressive muscle weakness.
We have a wide range of beds which further offer the tilt-in-space function also known as Trendelenburg – this is a vital function in day-to-day living as it can give the patient the perception of standing up and not being constantly laid flat.
There are dozens of features which should be considered so I highly recommend getting in contact with a member of our team to discuss your condition further and how we can help best. Here are just a few more features which should be considered:
- Customizable Settings: Beds with customizable settings or memory presets make it easier for patients with DMD to adjust the bed to their preferred positions for various activities. Our automatic turning box has the ability to memorise a certain position your bed is in and return it to such a position by the simple press of a button.
- Battery Backup: In case of power outages, battery backup ensures that essential bed functions remain operational, maintaining patient safety and comfort. All of our turning beds offer a battery back-up which has a 24 hour running time to ensure that no patient is stuck in an uncomfortable and possibly painful position.
- Bariatric Options: For patients with DMD who are overweight or obese, bariatric hospital bed models with higher weight capacities may be necessary to ensure safe and comfortable care. At Centrobed we look to cater to every individual, so please get in touch for your own personal assessment.
It’s crucial to involve healthcare professionals and caregivers in selecting the appropriate bed functions for patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Individual assessments, the stage of the disease, and the patient’s specific needs and preferences should all be considered to provide a supportive and comfortable environment that promotes their well-being and quality of life.